Name:
Location: Abilene, Texas, United States

Monday, January 15, 2007

Another Newer Year

Two years ago I wrote one post and though I enjoy reading others' blogs I just haven't been able to make myself return to my own. Of course two years ago I could not have imagined how my life would change over the course of 24 months. I now find myself a single mom of two teenagers, daughter of aging parents and occasionally feeling like the peanut butter in the sandwich generation.
This spring, I also begin a new adventure. Officially, the powers that be call it a "professional development leave." Unofficially, the lay term is sabbatical. Contrary to popular belief, professors don't get every seventh year off to watch soaps and eat bon-bons. I've been back in the classroom for 16 years and this is my first.
My plan is to learn more about narrative journalism than I know now. And maybe do a bit of it. But at least learn about how it's being taught on other campuses, and perhaps what newspaper editors think its future will be in the daily press.
I also hope to learn a bit about myself in the coming months. I haven't had six months of self-scheduled time in my entire adult life. Now, self-scheduled is a bit deceptive. I have two teenagers, and two parents, and a host of friends who will schedule more than a few hours of my days for me, and I'm grateful for that.
Will I return to this blog again? Not sure. My students coerced me into FaceBook and I've enjoyed that, so maybe I'll find a reason to blog. Let me know what you think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home